Welcome to Sandgerdi
Sandgerdi is a friendly fishing town on the western side of Reykjanes peninsula. Few minutes from the KeflavÝk International Airport - Leifur Eiriksson.
The town of Sandgerdi is located on the western side of Reykjanes peninsula, Iceland, with the Leifur EirÝksson International Airport in a municipality's boundaries. The west coast faces the open ocean. The coast line is relatively low and sandy, but dangerous reefs lie just off the coast. The Midnesheidi moor rises up from the grown lowland by the coast.
On December 3, 1990, Sandgerdi attained town rights, and is as of now, the youngest town in Iceland. Inhabitants number of Sandgerdi is close to 1400. The community began estblishing itself around the turn of the century when motor-boats were being introduced for fishing in Iceland. Today, Sandgerdi is one of the country's major fishing communitites. Rich fishing-grounds are found just off the coast of Sandgerdi, and in recent years good harbour facilities have been installed in Sandgerdi. In 1986 the community celebrated its 100th anniversary. For that occasion, a monument in honour of seamen was inaugurated. The monument, ┴l÷g, is made by sculptor Steinunn Ůˇrarinssdˇttir, and is to remind us of how small and insignificant human existance can be when dealing with the powerful ocean.
Lots to do in the town of Sandgerdi, among others Bird-watching, golfing, see historical significant places and go swimming.
In the northern part of town is Sandgeristj÷rn pond, where hundreds of migratory birds gather each spring. The town's oldest house, after which the town of Sandgeri was named, stands by the pond. The house was erected in 1883. On the coast-line, north and south of Sandgerdi, there are many beautiful spots to visit, and some of them have historical significance. By Hafurbjarnastaur, between Gardur and Sandgerdi, there are graves from pre-christian times, which were discovered in 1947. The graves are considered a very important discovery, and remains from one of the graves are now on display at the National Museum of Iceland. In this same area there is a good 9-hole golfcourse.
Check out the The Nature Centre, local restaurants, art galleries and the famous candle factory.
There are lots of places to visit now for example The Nature Center called Fraedasetur. It┤s a museum with birds and few sea aquarium. There are two restaurants in Sandgerdi. One is a pizzaria called Mamma Mia and the other is called Vitinn. One the same street is is a art gallery and candle factory, J÷klaljˇs were it is possible to see how th candle is made. In the norhern part of town is possible to rent a summerhouse.
There is a lot to see on the route south to Stafnes. Approximately 6 km from Sandgerdi is the church of Hvalneskirkja. The church was built out of stone in 1887, and one of Iceland's most cherished poets, HallgrÝmur Pétursson, served there as a priest for a number of years. Inside the church is the tombstone of Pétursson's daughter, Steinunn. The tombstone was found in a walling and is thought to have been made by the poet himself.